The River Loddon, or 'muddy river', to the west of Hurst parish, formed a natural boundary between
Hurst and Sonning parishes. On his map of Windsor Forest made in 1609, Nordon
defines the river as the forest's western boundary.
The river was joined by Broadwater just below
Twyford, and supplied power to Twyford Mill. It then divided into numerous
streams before emptying into the Thames near Sonning.
Whistley mill, represented on the map by two black squares, was mentioned in the
Domesday survey. On later maps, Whistley Mill Farm is shown occupying a
site on the Loddon just to the north of Whistley Bridge in Lands End Lane. Now
the site has been destroyed by gravel workings.
Below the mill lay Whistley Court Mansion, marked
on Rocque's map as Hurst Park.
This is the most historic site in the area, being created into a manor as early
as 968 AD, and has also been destroyed by gravel workings.
The wood, where the Loddon Lily grows, was saved.
Sandford Mill, believed to be one of the two mentioned in the Domesday
entry at Sonning, occupied a site on the western bank where it is
crossed by Sandford Lane. The mill has been converted in to private housing.
The Emmbrook passed through
Merry Hill and is shown on
the map as joining the Loddon almost
opposite Coalman's Moor.
Further south the Loddon passed under
Sindlesham Mill, which belonged to the Simmonds family earlier last century, is
now a restaurant and hotel.