Map of Twyford made by Lord Braybrook in 1862 showing
Hinton often implies an 'enclosure on high ground' or a 'high farm', but as Hinton is not on high ground, the word may describe and important place.
Hinton was in the possession of Patrick de Evreux, Earl of Salisbury in 1166. Subsequently Earls who held the title and property, summoned tenants to their manor court at Amesbury in Wiltshire. So for legal reasons, Hinton was part of Wiltshire until it became part of Berkshire in 1844.
The manor was subdivided into Broad Hinton, Hinton Hatch and Hinton Pipard (or Stanlake).
Hinton House (Sir William Compton's House) and Stanlake Park (Mr Aldworth's House), 1723
Hinton House, 2001
Hinton House was possibly built on the site of an earlier house, probably in the late 16th or early 17th century. The initials W H, are set into the brickwork, and are thought to be the initials of William Hyde who died in 1624. It is of brick, and is particularly noted for its high octagonal chimney stacks. It appears to have been the home of the Hyde family well into the 17th century.
In the burial register, William Hyde of Haines Hill was buried on 6th January 1589. The word 'Hynton' was used initially in the entry, but this was crossed out and Haines Hill inserted.
In 1723 Hinton House was described as 'Sir William Compton's House'. Thomas Haig was living there in 1911 and 1935. Hinton House now houses the Dolphin School.
References in main text:
Early Forest (3)