Ruscombe (rothescamp)


Ruscombe and Ruscombe Lake from Rocque's map of Berkshire, 1761

Ruscombe is possibly named after Rot, a Saxon lord who enclosed land there. It is mentioned in the foundation charter of Old Sarum cathedral, dated 1091, when ten hides of land were gifted by the Bishop of Salisbury.

The chancel of the parish church dates to the late 12th century. The nave and tower were rebuilt in 1638, and restoration work took place between 1859-60 and 1870-80. Like the neighbouring parish of Hurst, Ruscombe was a daughter church of Sonning.

Ruscombe lake, which covered about 3000 acres between Southbury Lane and Waltham St Lawrence, was originally famous for fishing. Though drained in 1820 when the water was diverted by digging the Bray Cut, the fields there are still known as Ruscombe Lake. 

William Penn died at Ruscombe in July 1718 in a house that stood near the church. The house was subsequently owned by the Leveson Gower family of Bill Hill and was pulled down in about 1830.

Part of Stanlake Park is in Ruscombe parish.

Enlosure and Moat in Ruscombe parish

Unfortunately this map cannnot be reproduced here for copyright reasons.

Enclosure and Moat from OS map
(© Ordnance Survey)

The enclosure at Ruscombe

The enclosure north of Stanlake Park at Ruscombe, may be Saxon or an earlier fortified site. The moat to the south could have been the site of an early manor house. 

Parish Church of St James the Great, Ruscombe

Ruscombe Church, 2001

Ruscombe Church, 2001

Vicar (Twyford & Ruscombe -
Revd. Graham Hamborg)

934 4792

In 2001 the census recorded 1,040 people living in 440 houses in Ruscombe

References in main text:

         I   Early Forest (3)
        II   Going to Church (2)
       III   The Bounds (2)
      IV   Visitations (2)
       V   The Manors (2)
      VI   The Royal Village (1)
    VIII   War and Poverty (3)
      IX   Great Houses (2)
       X   Bread (1)
      XI   Commuting (1)
     XII   Commerce (4)
    XIII   New Farmland (4)
     XV  Recently (4)