The Halfway House, Whistley Green.
Painting of the Halfway House, 1906 by E Vingoe, 1906 (click for later picture)
The Halfway House has strong connections with the Bullock family. In 1871 George Bullock, baker, formerly of Sutton Courtney, was living there with his children. In 1911 George Bullock was recorded as a beer retailer, and Samuel Henry Bullock, his son, was the baker. The baker occupied the centre of the building, while the public house was entered by the right hand door of the picture.
George Bullock's Bakery, Halfway House, Whistley Green, early 1900s
Carts loaded with bread at Mr Bullock's bakery
George Bullock in later life with his second Wife, Emma
Samuel Henry was born in the Halfway House in 1876. In 1903 he married Emily E Turner of Orchard Road. George, their son, became a distinguished cricketer, like his father and grandfather, he played for Berkshire. He died tragically in 1933.
Samuel Henry devoted much of his life to Hurst and its people, helping the elderly and raising money for charity. He became known as 'the Mayor of Hurst', and was always referred to as 'Sam'. He fought as a cavalry man in the Boer War. Twice his horse was shot from under him. Sam kept his uniform in immaculate condition and in 1962, when Elizabeth II and Prince Philip drove through Hurst, he was there proudly wearing his uniform and medals. One of his final deeds was to organise a party for eight old residents in the village hall. He died aged 86 in 1962. The Halfway House was demolished in the mid 1900s.
References in main text: