A Pictorial Tour Through Hurst in the 19th and Early 20th Centuries

Hinton Road, looking towards Townsend Pond (click for 1984 picture)

Townsend Pond (click for 1984 picture)

Townsend Pond, once the village green where cricket and other games were played, became a gravel pit when the roads through the village were surfaced.

Wards Cross, or the Street, seen from the junction with Hinton Road (click for 1984 picture)

Wards Cross, or the Street, looking towards the Cricketers with Mr Chalker's shop on left
(click shop for enlarged picture, click remainder for 1984 picture)

Newberry's post office, Wards Cross, 1909, Mr Newberry's telephone number was Hurst 1.
Mr Nash is the postman is on the right

Post Office Road, now Wards Cross, or The Street (A321) looking towards the Cricketers
(click for 1984 picture)

The Cricketers, Ward's Cross, with Walter Priest, proprietor (click for modern picture)

Wards Cross, or The Street (A321), looking towards Townsend Pond, late 19th century (click for 1984 picture)

Tape Lane (click for 1984 picture)

Looking towards Broadwater Lane with Elder cottage on left (click for 1984 picture)

Huntsman's Cottage (left) and 'Policeman's House' (white house centre) Whistley Green.
The white house was was rebuilt before housing the local policeman
(click Huntsman's Cottage for close up, or click rest of picture for modern view)

Mrs Bond's Grocery Store, now Huntsman's Cottage, Broadwater Lane, Whistley Green
(click for modern view)

Lodge Road, Whistley Green, looking towards Twyford (click for 1984 picture)

Lodge Road, with Halfway House on left
(click Halfway House for details, Elephant & Castle sign,
or remainder of picture for modern pictures)

Whistley Bridge House, beside the branch of the Loddon that fed Whistley mill
(click for modern picture)

The rear of Hurst Parish Church gives some idea of the appearance of the early building
(click for details of Hurst Parish Church)

The Castle Inn, formerly the Church House, c. 1895 when A J King was the proprietor
(click for early picture)

Alfred White's blacksmith's shop with Joe White (left) and Harry Booth

Davis Street (click for 1984 picture)

Topiary at Peacocks, c.1900, Davis Street (click for modern picture)

Davis Street Post Office, formerly the Plough Inn, occupied by Thomas Clacy in 1840
(click for modern picture)

A Pictorial Tour Through Hurst in the Late 20th Century

A Pictorial Tour Through Hurst in the 21st Century