Pound Common Field from Dalby's map of Hurst manor, 1723
The need for a pound or pinfold arose because of the medieval open field system of farming, when large areas were not protected from stray animals by fences. Livestock could cause a great deal of damage to unprotected crops.
The pound was normally kept by the lord of the manor who would appoint an official to ensure stray animals were caught and confined. Owners of the livestock would be summoned to the manor court and were often fined for their negligence.
Pound Common Field after the enclosure, 1840
When the tithe map was made in 1840, Pound Common Field is shown as being divided into smaller fields having several owners.
By the end of the 20th century, Pound Common Field had become a
Hurst Park Road, formerly part of Pound Field
References in main text:
XI Commuting (2)