High Chimneys, Davis Street, Hurst
High Chimneys, 2001
Some brickwork of High Chimneys is dated 1661, though the style suggests a late 16th century date. An extension was added in the late 19th century. In 1723 High Chimneys was called 'Mr Barker's House'. In 1840 the house and more than 110 acres were owned by Elizabeth Rose Barker and occupied by Charles Scarborough. It remained with the Barker family until it became the property of Captain Godsal of Haines Hill.
High Chimneys was occupied by a number of tenants until 1919 when the Winnersh portion of the Haines Hill estate was sold by auction. In 1924 William Hugh Browning was living in the house.
Much of the farm land formerly attached to the house was used for gravel extraction when the M4 motorway was extended towards Bristol, and the A329M was built. Now the land forms part of Dinton Pastures Country Park.
High Chimneys is a private house.
References in main text: