Bill Hill House

Bill Hill House

Bill Hill was owned by Sir Montague Blundell, 4th baronet, who became an Irish peer in 1720 as Baron of Edenderry. He also received the title Viscount Blundell. He died in 1756 and the titles became extinct.

Bill Hill was sold in 1734 to Mary, Countess of Harold, a daughter of Thomas Tufton, Baron Clifford and 6th Earl of Thanet, and Catherine Cavendish, daughter of the Duke of Newcastle. She was the widow of Anthony Grey, Earl of Harold. In 1736 Lady Harold married John Leveson-Gower, who was created Earl Gower in 1746. Lady Gower died at Bill Hill in 1785.

Bill Hill has always been associated with horses. Lady Harold built the stables when extensions were made to the house.  They are still being put to good use by the present owners.

Blundell Family Pedigree

Leveson-Gower Family Pedigree

References in main text:

       IV   Visitations (1)
      IX   Great Houses (6)
      XI   Commuting (2)
     XII   Commerce (2)
    XIII   New Farmland (4)