Arborfield (Edburghfield, Edburge's open land)
Arborfield from Nordon's map, 1607
Arborfield from Rocque's map of Berkshire, 1761
The former Saxon settlement was assessed in the Domesday Survey as being held by the Bishop of Salisbury and having 60 hides of land, and woodland for 300 swine.
Ruins of Medieval Chapel, Arborfield
A wooden chapel existed near the Loddon at Arborfield in the early 13th century. It was rebuilt in 1256 of chalk and flint with a wooden tower. In 1377 there were 42 families living in the village. The old chapel is on land belonging to Reading University and is in ruins.
Arborfield Cross from Hurst Parish Tithe Map, 1840
In 2001 the census recorded 2,280 people living in 878 houses in Arborfield and Newland villages
Parish Church of St Bartholomew, Arborfield
The present parish church, which replaced the older church dedicated to St Bartholomew, was built in 1863.
References in main text:
Going to Church