Winnersh/King Street from Rocque's map of Berkshire, 1761
The Old English word 'Winn' meaning meadow or pasture and 'ersc' meaning stubble field or park, imply that Winnersh consisted of cultivated areas of land centuries ago. It has been mentioned in documents since the late 12th century.
Rocque's map of Berkshire shows Winnersh as King Street, though the name Winnersh was used when the Enclosure map was made in 1814. The name King Street was used in 1840 when the Hurst Parish tithe map was made.
Winnersh Inclosure, 1814
In 1801 the population was counted at 329. The land assessed at 2045 acres in 1814, By 1901 the population had more than doubled to 673.
Winnersh crossroads (King Street) from Hurst Parish Tithe Map, 1840
Winnersh from the 2000 Ordnance Survey map. © Ordnance Survey
Church of St Mary (The Virgin), Winnersh, 2001
Winnersh Cross Roads, looking towards Wokingham, 2001
King's Street, Winnersh, looking towards Reading, 2001
The Pheasant, 2001 (click for earlier picture)
Sainsbury's supermarket, Winnersh, which replaced the Hewlett Packard factory in 1999
References in main text:
Early Forest (1)